These moist muffins contain applesauce, banana, coconut and a little bit of walnut and are great for breakfast or a mid-day treat. Vegan.
When traveling to my hometown of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, my husband John and I stayed at King’s Cottage, a bed & breakfast. I was worried about what they would be able to provide us for breakfast to accommodate our vegan meal request, but we were pleasantly surprised with delicious, moist muffins. I loved them so much, that I asked them for the recipe. They found the recipe on Vegan Sweet Tooth. While the recipe is called Vegan Coconut Milk Muffins, there is not an overwhelming coconut taste to these muffins which was find by me because I am not a huge lover of coconut.
I’ve adapted the recipe slightly to include more applesauce, and banana, and walnuts.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 14 ounce can of coconut milk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 small banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, plus a bit more to sprinkle on top
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut milk, applesauce, banana, and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and stir just to combine.
- Fold in coconut and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and sprinkle additional coconut on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Allow muffins to cool before removing from muffin tin.
Latest posts by Lori Hill (see all)
- Guilt-Free Halloween Treats - October 16, 2017
- How to Dispose of Kitty Cat Poop Without Using a Plastic Bag - October 5, 2017
- Green Living Apps to Help You Live More Sustainably - September 8, 2017