If you are looking for an easy, breezy, light salad to make this summer, this Blueberry and Quinoa Salad is for you! I wish I could take credit for his one, but it is from Kay Loughrey, LDN, RDN, MPH, a health coach, nutritionist, and owner of Sweet Life Wellness.
The main ingredient in this salad is arugula which is packed with nutrients: vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, calcium, magnesium, riboflavin, copper, iron, zinc, folate and potassium. Because it is high in antioxidant phytochemicals and rich in detoxifying glucosinolates, it is believed to be a preventative of certain types of cancer. The blueberries contain vitamin K, manganese, vitamin C, fiber, and copper.
This Blueberry and Quinoa Salad is plant-based and gluten-free as long as you use plain quinoa—whole or flour—that’s labeled gluten-free or certified gluten-free.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 6 cups arugula
- 3 TB lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- Combine 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water in a medium sized saucepan. When it comes to a boil, reduce heat and cover with a lid. Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, measure the blueberries and arugula and dice the red onion.
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Once quinoa has cooled, place the arugula in a bowl and add quinoa, blueberries, and onion. Sprinkle with salad dressing.
- The original recipe called for red quinoa, but I used regular quinoa.