This easy to whip together kale and seitan vegan stir fry is great for any time of day and can be altered to include leftovers in your fridge.
“What the heck is seitan?” you ask. It’s made from wheat and is high in protein and is often called “wheat meat” because its texture is very meat-like.
One day, when craving something other than steel cut oats for breakfast, I opened the fridge and saw some rice and kale. That got me craving stir fry, so I added in some Italian Seitan by Upton’s Naturals and other veggies and voila! A healthy breakfast to start my day!
- 2 cups White Organic Basmati Rice
- 2 Tbl olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 8 ounces seitan
- 4 cups kale (about 4 large leaves)
- 3/4 cups sliced crimini mushrooms (about 6 mushrooms)
- soy sauce or salt and pepper to taste
- Combine 2 cups of rice with 3 cups of water in a microwavable bowl with a lid. Stir to combine. Cook uncovered in microwave for 15 minutes. Cover with lid and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour olive oil into a skillet or wok.
- Add red onion and red pepper and saute over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Crumble seitan and add to skillet. Saute until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and kale and stir to combine. Cover and continue to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Make a bed of rice on a serving platter and top with seitan and vegetables.
- Season with soy sauce or just salt and pepper to taste.
- If seitan is not available to you, use your favorite faux sausage or other faux meat.
Latest posts by Lori Hill (see all)
- How I’ve Survived — and Thrived — at the CCAN “Keep Winter Cold” Polar Bear Plunge - January 12, 2018
- 10 Easy Green Actions - January 9, 2018
- 5 Items I Take With Me to Live Low Waste - November 17, 2017