When I first tasted this Sugar & Spice Coffee Cake, it reminded me of one of the first baked items I learned to bake myself — a breakfast treat called Cowboy Coffee Cake (I still don’t understand how it got its name). It had cinnamon and nutmeg and was great to eat with a glass of milk. When I turned vegan, I stopped making it, but always thought of veganifying it.
One day at a coffee hour at church, Angela, one of our members who is also vegan (and a source of support in my beginning days of veganism), offered me some vegan Sugar & Spice Coffee Cake. It tasted just like the non-vegan coffee cake of my childhood! The only difference with Angela’s version is it uses soy milk instead of dairy and egg replacer instead of eggs. My childhood version calls for sifted sugar, so I added that to Angela’s version.
This is a great dish to bring to a brunch and it tastes great with coffee, tea, or non-dairy milk.
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour*
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sour milk**
- egg replacer to equal 3 eggs
- With a pastry blender, mix flour, brown sugar, salt and shortening until crumbly.
- Set aside 1/2 cup.
- To remaining crumbs add cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix thoroughly.
- Add sour milk.
- In a small bowl, mix egg replacer powder with warm water.
- Add to mixture and mix well.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 x 1 1/2 inch round pans.
- Top with reserve 1/2 cup crumbs.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- *For sifted flour, sift the flour first, then measure out 2 1/2 cups
- **For sour milk, combine 1 cup soy milk with 1 TB vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes or until it has a texture similar to buttermilk.
Latest posts by Lori Hill (see all)
- Green Living Apps to Help You Live More Sustainably - September 8, 2017
- Leave It On or Take It Off: Recycling Questions Answered - June 5, 2017
- Residential Curbside Recycling: 11 Items to Leave Out - April 20, 2017