Thanks for watching How to Dispose of Kitty Cat Poop Without Using a Plastic Bag.
Living Low Waste
While I would love to live zero waste, right now, I’m reaching towards low waste, so when it comes to kitty poop, I dump it in the trash, but I avoid using plastic bags.
Instead of using plastic bags (they rarely come into my home), I use bags that are already destined for the landfill. My thinking is that it is better to reuse a bag destined for the landfill than to use a bag that is brand new or one that can be recycled (like a plastic handle bag that you get at a grocery store).
Here is a list of the types of bags (you can’t recycle) in which I place kitty litter.
- tortilla chips
- pita chips
- plastic tortilla bags
- frozen food
- dog treat bags
- cracker box liners
- cereal box liners
- coffee bags – (we usually buy our coffee in bulk, but on occasion, I’ll get a bag of coffee when on vacation. These are great for neutralizing the smell of the kitty poop).
- laundry pod bags
- dishwasher pod bags
- paper bags that have contained food (like mushrooms)
My Cat Litter
The kitty litter I use is World’s Best Cat Litter, Multiple Cat Clumping formula. While it says it’s flushable, we don’t flush it because
(a) we don’t keep our litter boxes in a bathroom
(b) we want to conserve water and
(c) most importantly, when you flush kitty litter, it puts other wildlife – such as dolphins and whales — at risk of getting infected with the cat parasite Toxoplasma gondii.
So just double bag the poop (with a bag that would already go in the trash placed in a bigger trash bag along with the rest of your trash).
How to Avoid Plastic Bags
If you want to eliminate plastic from your life, be sure to watch my video 6 Tips to Avoid Plastic Bags.
What Do You Think?
I’d love to have your feedback! Please share in the comments section below.
Latest posts by Lori Hill (see all)
- How I’ve Survived — and Thrived — at the CCAN “Keep Winter Cold” Polar Bear Plunge - January 18, 2019
- Healthy Halloween Treats - October 24, 2018
- Why You Don’t Need Solar Panels to Enjoy Solar Energy - October 12, 2018