Asparagus is one of those vegetables when prepared properly, it pops with flavor. And all you need are simple ingredients you already have in your pantry. This vegan and gluten-free recipe is really easy to whip together as a side dish and can be served hot or at room temperature.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 - 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 - 2 TBS olive oil
- Wash and trim bottoms of asparagus spears (see notes below for tips)
- Place asparagus in a long, shallow glass baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and use your hands to massage in the olive oil to be sure each spear is fully covered
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment baker and place asparagus in a single layer on the sheet
- Sprinkle with sea salt
- Broil for 5 minutes, turn asparagus, and broil for another 5 minutes until lightly browned
- Remover from broiler and serve hot or at room temperature
- HOW TO TRIM THE ENDS OF ASPARAGUS SPEARS
- To trim the ends of each asparagus spear, hold each end of a spear in each hand. Bend the bottom with one hand while holding the upper end taught to enable the bottom end to break off at its natural breaking point.
To visit John's blog, click on his name right above.