Maybe you overdid it little during the holidays? No worries, you’re in good company. Most of America is in the same boat. Time to clean out the pipes, so to speak. This soup is all good, no crap. It’s packed with veggies and green goodness, guaranteed to nourish your body and warm you through.
Don’t be scared by all the green veggies in this soup! It does have a slightly earthy taste, but the garlic, ginger, cayenne, lemon juice and coconut milk really balance it out, making it savory and delicious.
If you’ve ever done a cleanse, you recognize some ingredients here – like the apple cider vinegar, lemon and cayenne. This is a gentler approach, though. All the vegetables are lightly cooked and the coconut milk gives it a smoother texture than actual cleanse juices/concoctions. And if you are planning a juice cleanse, this is a great way to ease back into solid food!
Because it’s a detox recipe, there’s no oil or salt. If you truly want to eliminate all added sodium, you can even swap out the veggie broth for water. Not that hardcore? Feel free to add a splash of oil and pinch of salt.
As written, this recipe is both vegan and gluten-free. Enjoy it served with a hot cup of herbal tea for a true detox meal. Makes about 6 servings.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup veggie broth (or water)
- 6 cups broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium veggie stock
- 2 cups zucchini, chopped
- 1 8-oz. bag frozen spinach, thawed (or use fresh!)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbl. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- zest of one lemon
- juice from one lemon
- 1 13oz can of lite coconut milk (we used Thai Kitchen)
- avocado, sliced into long wedges, for soup topping
- In soup pot, add 1/2 cup veggie broth and chopped onion. Saute in broth over medium heat about 2 to 4 minutes, until onion is wilted and fragrant.
- Add chopped broccoli, celery and remaining 3 1/2 cups veggie broth. Cover and cook about 8 to 10 minutes, until broccoli is just fork-tender.
- Add chopped zucchini, contents of frozen spinach bag, garlic, ginger, apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper. Combine well into warm veggies, then cover and cook about 3 to 5 more minutes, until zucchini is soft. Don't overcook, or your broccoli will turn from bright green to grayish.
- Add parsley and lemon zest to the pot. Turn off heat; stir to combine. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it's green and smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a food processor or standing blender, just move the ingredients in batches, and be sure to let a vent open so you don't get a soup explosion.
- After pureeing, stir in the lemon juice and coconut milk.
- Serve warm with slices of avocado on top.
To visit the dirty hippie and the bohemian girl's website, click their byline. To read the rest of their posts on Sister Eden, click their tag at the top of the post.
Latest posts by the dirty hippie and the bohemian girl (see all)
- Verdant Springtime Soup with Cashew-Lavender Drizzle - March 20, 2017
- Mom’s Squash Casserole - July 7, 2016
- Colcannon with Fried Leeks - March 15, 2016