All families have classic favorites. This one belongs to Cindy, the Dirty Hippie’s mom. His folks have a large veggie garden (by large, I mean over an acre!) and the yield of yellow squash each year is pretty significant. This casserole is a staple in many southern families and everyone seems to have their own take on it. Some are made in the oven, others the slow cooker – we’ve even made it in foil packets on the grill! We love how buttery Cindy’s version is, and how simple it is to put together for a quick summer supper.
This recipe calls for a cracker topping. We like it with vegan Ritz-style crackers. Both Whole Foods and Giant store brands are vegan, but not gluten free. We did experiment with gluten-free rice cracker crumbs. They work just fine and get crispy, but you may wish to add a little more margarine for extra buttery flavor!
We used Follow Your Heart Gourmet Cheese Shreds, but Lori has prepared this with Tomato Cayenne Chao Cheese Slices cut into shreds. For the butter/margarine, we used Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks.
- 8 cups yellow squash, sliced into half moons
- 1 1/2 cups sweet white onions, chopped
- 2 cups vegan cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup buttery-style crackers, crumbled
- 1 TB vegan margarine, in small pea-sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Toss cut squash and sweet onions in a large casserole dish.
- Top with vegan cheddar shreds and season with salt and pepper.
- To make crumbs of the crackers, use your food processor or blender or just place them in a bowl and crush them with your hands.
- Sprinkle cracker crumbs on top of the veggies and vegan cheese, then dot evenly with the pea-sized pieces of margarine.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 375.
- Remove foil and continue baking for 30-35 minutes, until cracker topping is toasted and crisp and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot.
To visit the dirty hippie and the bohemian girl's website, click their byline. To read the rest of their posts on Sister Eden, click their tag at the top of the post.
Latest posts by the dirty hippie and the bohemian girl (see all)
- Verdant Springtime Soup with Cashew-Lavender Drizzle - March 20, 2017
- Mom’s Squash Casserole - July 7, 2016
- Colcannon with Fried Leeks - March 15, 2016