My mom’s chocolate chip cookies were the best. Her secret was simple: she used the Nestle Tollhouse recipe, but with a slight tweak (which I won’t share!). Back in the day whenever I baked them, friends and co-workers would devour the chocolate treats and insist I bring them to future gatherings. The cookies became known as my “world famous” chocolate chip cookies. I continued to make them over the years, but recently decided to veganify them which was easy with just a few simple tweaks.
Mom’s Tricks for Success
My mom’s chocolate chip cookies tasted so good because she used an electric mixer vs. hand mixing and didn’t over bake the cookies, which is key (see the Notes section of the recipe for my tip). There was also her secret ingredient, but that is not contained in this version. So try these out and let me know what you think.
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened (I use Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 3/4 cup organic peanut butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp water
- egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs
- 1 cup vegan bittersweet chocolate chips (I use Equal Exchange)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer, cream together butter, coconut oil, peanut butter and sugars.
- Beat in vanilla, water, and egg replacer until creamy.
- Add flour mixture, about a 1/2 cup at a time, and mix well.
- Remove bowl from mixer, add in chocolate chips, and stir with a large spoon.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto cookies sheets. You may need to pinch the dough to keep it from falling apart.
- Place cookie sheets on center over rack and bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are slightly brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet and place on a wire rack until cool.
- To make mixing easier, I try to bring my butter to room temperature. If you forget, slice the butter up into small pieces to hasten the softening process.
- I bake 2 cookie sheets at a time.
- I've always noticed that chocolate chip cookie recipes go awry when people try to over bake the cookies. So as soon as you see a little brown on top, pull them out. They will finish baking on the cookie sheet. Be sure to let them sit for 5 minutes before placing them on a wire rack to cool.
Latest posts by Lori Hill (see all)
- How I’ve Survived — and Thrived — at the CCAN “Keep Winter Cold” Polar Bear Plunge - January 18, 2019
- Healthy Halloween Treats - October 24, 2018
- Why You Don’t Need Solar Panels to Enjoy Solar Energy - October 12, 2018