Christmas means cookies. Who doesn’t love cookies? It’s time to turn on the oven and get that sweet, wonderful aroma wafting through the house: fresh baked cookies!
This snappy recipe is a fun variation on a traditional chocolate chip cookie. The addition of fresh mint and a sparkling sugar coating changes the look and flavor profile. Those little green flecks of mint are surprising and bright, and this cookie is crispy, so it’s a winner for dunking into cocoa or coffee.
Dogs love cookies, too, of course. So be sure to check out our recipe for your four-legged family members, too! Just be sure you don’t mix up the people cookies and the dog cookies – after all, chocolate is toxic to dogs! The dog cookies DO smell wonderful, but most people would find them a little bland without sugar and salt.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup arrowroot
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, washed and de-stemmed
- 3/4 cup vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, plus about 1/3 cup additional, for topping
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. mint extract
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (we used Enjoy Life brand mini-chips)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (such as If You Care brand, which is compostable) or reusable silicone baking liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together non-dairy milk and arrowroot. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using a knife and cutting board, or a mini food processor, mince fresh mint until it is in very fine pieces. Add to a medium size mixing bowl with 1 cup sugar, agave nectar, vanilla extract and mint extract. Stir together. The scent will be very minty and sweet.
- Add room-temperature vegan margarine. The temperature is crucial in this recipe: if it's too cold, it won't mix in; if it's melted to a liquid state, the dough won't bake properly.
- Cream together minty sugar combo with vegan margarine using a wooden spoon or electric mixer.
- Pour the margarine/sugar mixture into the flour; add arrowroot and non-dairy-milk slurry. Fold together until just combined. Gently add in the chocolate chips. Don't overwork the dough or you will have tough cookies.
- Add remaining 1/3 cup sugar to a low-edge dish. Roll cookie dough into one tablespoon-size balls and press tops into sugar to flatten. Place flattened cookies non-sugar-side down on the lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool on baking sheets 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Repeat with remaining dough. Store in a covered container.
- Yields about 48 small, crispy cookies that go well with hot beverages
To visit the dirty hippie and the bohemian girl's website, click their byline. To read the rest of their posts on Sister Eden, click their tag at the top of the post.
Latest posts by the dirty hippie and the bohemian girl (see all)
- Verdant Springtime Soup with Cashew-Lavender Drizzle - March 20, 2017
- Mom’s Squash Casserole - July 7, 2016
- Colcannon with Fried Leeks - March 15, 2016