If you want a quick Halloween snack that’s extra spooky before going out to cause monstrous mischief tonight, try these fun Vampire Apple Bites. With only a few ingredients, they are also a perfect recipe for little vampires to help with. Who knows, maybe filling up on a healthy snack will help defray all the candy-eating sure to follow tonight after trick-or-treat and parties!
To mix it up, we used regular smooth peanut butter as well as chocolate peanut butter. Vegan brands of chocolate nut butters include Justin’s and Peanut Butter & Co. If your family has peanut allergies, try almond butter, cashew butter, soy nut butter, hazelnut butter or sunflower seed butter in this recipe.
- 2 apples
- 1/2 lemon, sliced into wedges
- 1 cup of peanut butter of choice
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup strawberry or raspberry jam
- Cut apples in half and core them. Slice each apple into 8 wedges, making 16 wedges.
- Rub the cut apples lightly with lemon juice on top and bottom; this will prevent them from browning - or at least slow it down for awhile.
- Smear peanut butter onto 8 of the wedges, creating an angle towards the side with the apple peel.
- Place the other 8 wedges on top and stick in slivered almonds to make fangs or teeth.
- Drop or drizzle jam on the "teeth" to look like fresh blood, if desired.
- Serve right away - these are gooey and may get on your fingers!
To visit the dirty hippie and the bohemian girl's website, click their byline. To read the rest of their posts on Sister Eden, click their tag at the top of the post.
Latest posts by the dirty hippie and the bohemian girl (see all)
- Verdant Springtime Soup with Cashew-Lavender Drizzle - March 20, 2017
- Mom’s Squash Casserole - July 7, 2016
- Colcannon with Fried Leeks - March 15, 2016