Lori and John easily veganify a cookbook recipe for broccoli soup. Watch to see how it tastes!
Once again, we’ve taken a recipe from the Simply In Season Children’s Cookbook and attempted to veganify it. This Green Monster Soup is made with potatoes, cauliflower, onion, and broccoli, but we’ve veganified it by replacing the cow milk with soy milk and the cheese with Vegan Chao Cheese Slices, my favorite fake cheese, which melts just fine.
It’s a nice, savory, healthy soup that will fill you up!
- 3 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small head of cauliflower, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup of water
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3 cups soy milk (we used Silk)
- 2 teaspoons of Better Than Boullion (or use vegetable boullion cubes)
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (we used The Wizard's Organic Vegan Worcestershire Sauce)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup diced Chao Cheese (or other vegan cheese shreds)
- In a large stock pot, bring potatoes, cauliflower, and onion to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid for 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cover with a lid and reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add milk, Better Than Boullion, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and heat to simmer.
- Combine milk and flour in a jar with a lid and shake until thoroughly mixed.
- Add milk and flour mixture to soup mixture until just thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in faux cheese.
- Serve chunky or puree for a creamy soup.
- To dice the cheese, I took a half block of Chao Cheese Slices, and started slicing narrowly, and then kept slicing again and again to make diced cheese for easy meltability!
Latest posts by Lori Hill (see all)
- How I’ve Survived — and Thrived — at the CCAN “Keep Winter Cold” Polar Bear Plunge - January 18, 2019
- Healthy Halloween Treats - October 24, 2018
- Why You Don’t Need Solar Panels to Enjoy Solar Energy - October 12, 2018